Immigrant Services Calgary (ISC) is delighted to announce and congratulate the recipients of the 21st Annual Immigrants of Distinction Awards.
The 2017 Immigrants of Distinction Awards gala was held last Friday, March 10, 2017 at the Westin Calgary Hotel to celebrate the outstanding achievements and contributions of immigrants to Calgary. This year’s Immigrants of Distinction Awards also served to celebrate two momentous anniversaries; Immigrant Services Calgary’s 40th anniversary of delivering quality settlement services to Calgary’s newcomers, and Canada’s 150th anniversary of Confederation.
The distinguished 2017 award recipients are as follows:
• Achievement Under 35: Dr. Anupam Das
• Arts and Culture: Elena Bushan
• Community Service: Dahlia ElShafie-Mostafa
• Entrepreneurship and Innovation: Dr. Anmol S. Kapoor
• Lifetime Achievement: Dr. Richard Guy
• Science, Technology, Engineering and Math: Dr. Wael Badawy
• Organizational Diversity: Genesis Centre
• Youth Scholarships: Janica Altea L. Echavez, Nicole Mfoafo-M'Carthy, Ayush Ghosh, Jeremy Fan, Zeel Patel
The event hosted a full room of guests from all levels of government, the corporate community, and the voluntary sector. The theme for the evening was “Global Talent - Canada's Advantage"; which focuses on how far we have come as a diverse Calgary community. “The Immigrants of Distinction Awards provides a platform to publically recognize the innovation, talent, and positive impact that immigrants and refugees contribute to Calgary and to Canada.” says Krystyna Biel, Immigrant Services Calgary’s Chief Executive Officer.
Her Honour, the Honourable Lois Mitchell, Lieutenant Governor of Alberta, offered her reflections on the award recipients’ achievements. “The contributions and innovations of those represented at this Gala will leave a lasting legacy to Calgary’s arts, entrepreneurial and professional communities."